Gluten Free Taquitos!

With packing lunches on my mind...

We've been buying taquitos by the little box of about 21 for just under 6 dollars.
They are quite good. But, I like to make things myself. Usually foods cost about 1/2 or less when made yourself. Not to mention you can control what goes into them.

I put a roast in the crock pot today and simmered it all day.
I sprinkled it with a homemade taco seasoning mix that I make. You could easily use a GF taco seasoning mix and seasoned salt. When the roast was done I sliced it and then shredded it. I seasoned it to taste and added a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce to the mix.

Then I melted butter in a frying pan. I dipped the corn tortillas in the butter so that they would be warm and pliable. (I hear you, I know, butter, not traditional mexican and not low fat. To lower the fat you can use broth instead. Quickly dip the tortillas in a frying pan of warm broth.) Place a small amount of filling at the edge of the tortilla and roll it up and then place it seam down.
Next you can either bake them or cover them in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. I opted to wrap them and freeze them. After they are frozen take them off of the jelly roll pan and put them in a freezer bag for later.
They will be ready to go for a quick snack or lunch on the run where a microwave is available.

My daughter can use a microwave at school to warm these up for a quick gluten free hot lunch.

Comments

Popular Posts