Love Rice A Roni Recipe? Rice Mix in a Jar - Knock Off

The jar on the left was made with Orzo and the jar on the right, snapped spaghetti.

My kids really like Rice-a-Roni (R) .  It had been a while since I had made this.  
This is one of my favorite mixes.



Recently, I made this recipe again and one of my boys decided he never wants the stuff in the box again.  It made me smile.  I love it when my kids want something food storage friendly that I can make from scratch! 

San Francisco Rice

1/2 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup broken vermicelli or Orzo
2 tbsp butter
2 cups water
2 chicken Wyler's bouillon cubes*
1/2 tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1 tbsp parsley
Dash Tumeric - Not too much, but don't omit.
(For a double batch I use 1/4 tsp.)

Melt butter in a large skillet with a lid.  (I have a big 5 quart skillet and I double this recipe.)
Brown the broken vermicelli, thin spaghetti or Orzo in butter.
Add rice and stir to coat with butter. 
Remove from heat.
Add water, bouillon cubes, season salt and garlic salt.
Return to heat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir when done and replace lid until you serve it.
 Note:
*Not all Bouillon is created equally.  This recipe works well with Wyler's.  Knorr seems weak and you need more of it.
A double batch fits perfectly in a pint jar.  Be sure to keep the spices at the bottom of the jar layered under the rice with the pasta at the top of the jar so that you can pour the pasta off into the pan to saute.  The spices taste better if you do not saute them.  
If you use broken spaghetti don't panic you can still get it all in a pint jar.  I use a canning funnel and a butter knife to get it in.  I use a gentle stabbing motion to pack the pasta down into the jar until you can get the lid on.


Comments

  1. I love homemade Rice-o-roni! I think you're being too hard on your picture...it looks good to me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I have a thousand spices, but I don't have tumeric. Sure looks good and from scratch anything is always better to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie, I bought tumeric in the small cheaper spices.
    And Yes, I have a cabinet full of spices too. They are real space hogs. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved rice a roni as a child and haven't had it in years. I can't wait to make this for my family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts