Strawberry Grower Woes - Strawberry Shortcake Glaze

Seeing the troubles that farmers are having with their strawberry crops makes me wish I could grow more of our food. The strawberries that I bought are pretty, but boy they are not sweet. I realize crop failure in my backyard is also possible. But, I can pick things when they taste the best.

I realize that I cannot grow enough food on my little building lot to sustain our family's needs, but every little bit counts.

My job this year on my new barren lot is to "grow" garden spots. We have 1 garden box built so far. Now I need compost, vermiculite and peat. My hope is to have a place for a fall garden this year. I hope that my previous homes new occupant enjoys the garden spot. I gardened in the flower beds since they had the best exposure.

As I watched the snow fly this morning I remembered last year's garden. At this time last year the bits of snow were depositing on my lettuce and broccoli. I was worried but, I worried for nothing. I enjoyed broccoli and lettuce until I was ready for it to stop producing.

Here is the hired help. He LOVES to cook! If ever I start rifling around in the kitchen he is immediately present pushing a bar stool across the floor. He wants to do it.

Strawberry Shortcake Glaze

1 packet Strawberry Koolaid
3 tbsp corn starch
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Mix dry ingredients in a large glass bowl. Add water and whisk together. Cook in microwave until thickened whisking periodically. (Cooks about 3 minutes.) Cool and then fold in sliced strawberries. (It thickens a lot when it is cold. It is really thick and good when served. If you want a glaze that will soak into your cake use 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch.)

Comments

Popular Posts