Mary's Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe from Gold Medal

Early in my married life I bought a bag of Gold Medal Flour. This may not seem comical to you, but for me it is a rare thing in my history. I am a bargain shopper by nature. I have always sneered at higher priced brands and refused to part with my money for them. (I really like Western Family Bread Flour, but the all-purpose seems to be a very weak flour.) I have never been one to buy big brand flour until just recently. Another story in it self, but I will tell you I love the bread flour from our local roller mill and since it has been reasonably priced during this economic downturn, I indulge once in a while.

Back to the reason why you are here. Chocolate Chip Cookies... Most people love them, and many have a signature recipe and definite preferences about the traits of a good cookie. This recipe meets my needs nicely. As I write this my taste memory is kicking in! Mmmmm! Depending on bake time this recipe is crispy on the edges and soft in the middle. Modify your bake time to your tastes. (My children prefer milk chocolate chips in these cookies.)

Adapted-
Mary's Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 1/2cups butter or margarine, softened
1 1/4cups granulated sugar
1 1/4cups packed brown sugar
1tablespoon vanilla
2eggs
4cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
2teaspoons baking soda
1/2teaspoon salt
1bag (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350°F.
In large bowl, beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed or with spoon until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips.
On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by tablespoonfuls or #40 cookie/ice cream scoop 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly.
Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. (If you prefer a very soft cookie only bake until set.)
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Have you used a cookie scoop before? (I prefer a size 50 for cookies and 20 for muffins.) If you have not you are missing out.
Early in my married life you had to seek out a high end kitchen store to find them. Now they are pretty easy to find. A good tablespoon sized stainless cookie scoop will likely last the length of your cookie baking career. They are very worth the small investment. And IMHO no cookie baking home kitchen is complete without heavy aluminum1/2 sheet commercial bun pans, good stainless steel bowls, metal measuring cups and spoons, and lastly a good cookie scoop.

Enjoy!

OXO Good Grips (R) Cookie scoop photo courtesy of Bed Bath and Beyond














Comments

  1. It's hard to beat chocolate chip cookies! (I need one of those scoops.) Now I'm curious about why you buy the flour you do. I try not to use flour very often, but when I do it's the cheapo stuff. It's probably terrible, right? I wish I could grow everything I feed my family. Ha! Anyway, I read the link you left for me in the comments. That is a great looking style! Thanks for clueing me into it!

    ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celeste,

    I bought Western Family Bread flour until the economy slumped and flour doubled in cost over a few years. I really like good Bread flour. It is a strong thirsty flour.
    The gluten develops so nicely in bread flour and the resulting baked goods rise so nicely.
    The Western Family Flour is a good quality flour and for me name brand has never been a deciding factor in flour purchases. If the dough develops beautifully with a certain flour it earns my respect. But, if it is a good flour and the price is good to it earns my dollar.

    The Roller Mill bread flour is a bit nicer flour than the W.F. flour. I am sure if I took the time to read up and protein content and other flour traits I could tell you why in a more educated manner. My education has come from plunging my hands into the resulting dough and feeling the ethereal zeel that I do when I bake.
    I am so thankful that I feel such deep joy as I do my job in motherhood.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts