Manti Pageant BBQ Turkey - Oh baby this is so good!

I remember this so well from my visit to the Manti Pageant at age 12.  I remember riding the tour bus to Manti, Utah with my mother and grandmother and a group of senior citizens.  I remember arriving hungry and being presented with their famous BBQ Turkey dinner.  Oh, it was heavenly.  I was a picky little eater, but I remember trying this willingly because of my hunger!  I loved it and have never forgotten it. 
For the large crowd that was being served the turkey breasts were cooked with the marinade in turkey roasters and then the turkey was pulled.

Manti BBQ Marinade
For 5 pounds of turkey breast (chicken)
1 c. Oil (I left this out.)
1 c. soy sauce
2 c. sprite (7-up or Gingerale will work too)
1 tsp. horseradish sauce (Save from Arby's)
Stir well, place meat in marinade and marinate at least 6 hours in refrigerator. Stir solution often so meat doesn't soak up only the oil. BBQ on the grill. With a pastry brush, brush turkey often and turn until cooked through.

I was busy and did not pre-thaw the chicken so I used frozen ice dipped chicken breasts and cooked this in the crock pot for about 6 or 7 hours in the marinade.  I left the oil out since I was not grilling and I figure we get enough fat in our diets without it.  I recommend taking the chicken out when it reaches 180 degrees in the center of the largest pieces.  Strain the marinade and reduce it on the stove.  Pull the chicken apart and add the reduced sauce back to it and hold it on low for a little while to help the flavors to mix before serving.


Enjoy!

(Photo Credit)

Comments

  1. I can't wait to try it!
    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts