Canning Hamburger


I have fallen out of the habit, but I used to bring family packs of ground beef home and fry them (I usually buy 2 at a time) right as I came in the door from the grocery store. I would babysit the two spaghetti pots full as I put away the groceries. Then after it cooled I would put 2 cups into each quart size freezer bag. Then flatten it and lay them in the big freezer on a big cookie sheet. Then, later I would stack them in the upstairs freezer for quick meals. I attempted OAMC (Once a Month Cooking) at one time and this is what stuck with me.

I came in the door yesterday and I decided the bottle hamburger.
Would you like to know what I learned? Don't try to can on Mutual night. Okay, I know. You could have told me that. Don't know what I was thinking when I started that. Thank heaven for a husband who is willing to babysit the canner for a while after I left.

I divided 3 family packs into my spaghetti pot and crock pot, quartered 2 onions and covered each with about 4 cups of water. I left it to simmer for while. Then I hot packed the jars and put it into the pressure canner to process at 15 pounds for 75 minutes. It is important to allow the pressure to come down naturally. This is figured as part of the canning time. Not to mention the fluid will force out of some of your jars if you get short on patience. I've even read it can crack your jars. Yikes. (Add 1/4 tsp non-iodized salt to each jar.)

Well, should you decide to try it here is a great source for safe information.

Canning Meats


Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts