Popcorn Muffins - DIY Corn Dogs - One Universal Recipe


I made these little guys in my muffin pan from *IKEA.  Funny shape huh!
My kids loved it!

First I ground my popcorn that needed to be rotated in my kitchen mill.
I did this years ago to use up some popcorn and we liked it so much that I do it on purpose now.

-Popcorn Muffins-
1 cup all-purpose flour 
3/4 cup ground popcorn or regular cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
 1 cup milk 
1/4 cup cooking oil or melted butter

Add dry ingredients to jar of your choice. 
Label the jar with instructions for what to add when you make the recipe. 
Mix dry in one bowl and wet in another.  Combine and mix as you normally do muffins taking care not to over mix.  Leave a bit lumpy.  Allow it to sit a few minutes and then drop into a greased muffin tin.
Bake at 400 degrees until golden on the bottoms.
Yield : 1 dozen

-Corn Dog Variation-

For Corn dogs leave out half of the baking powder and all of the oil in the recipe.
Dry the hot dogs with paper towels and then dust them with flour shaking off the excess. 
Spear the hot dogs with a fork in the side making a T with the hot dog on the fork.
Lower the hot dogs into your heated fryer.  After the breading has cooked for a few moments carefully slip the corn dog off of the fork with another fork.  Roll the corn dogs as they cook.
Allow it to cook until it is done.
(Learn with a moment of trial and error how hot your oil should be and how long to cook them.  Try 375.)  
Cut them in half after you remove them from the oil and inspect to see if you are getting them done around the hotdog or not.

For a crowd double the recipe.  
If I remember correctly a double batch coats 3 packages of hot dogs.


*More info about the pan.  It is painted on the bottom and is showing wear already, but it was a 9.00 pan and I love the shape.  :o)

Comments

Popular Posts