Paint IKEA Stenstorp Island Black - IKEA Hack


The day I bought my IKEA Stenstorp Island I really wished they came in black.  

 But, I liked it so I bought it anyway.  Now three years later, I took the plunge.
(I have scoured the internet and have not found another one in black.)

I started with a patch of paint to see how well the paint would adhere to the original finish.  

The original IKEA finish seems like it must be oil based.
The latex did not pass the scratch test.
So I headed for the garage.

Stripped to the bones.

I sanded the whole beast for good paint adhesion.  

Getting the shelves off was the tough part.
I ended up sliding a blade between the underside of the stainless plate and the shelf to cut the sticky pad that the shelf was glued on with.


I used original Kilz tinted gray to cover the MDF in the center.

And then for good measure I painted the whole thing with Kilz.
What a job.  But, the results will be worth the effort.

Here she is in battle ship gray KILZ original
 

Before painting IKEA Stenstorp Island Black

After- IKEA Stenstorp Island Painted Black
She is done.
Now to put my kitchen back together.

I like the difference, how about you?



Comments

  1. Looks very nice! IKEA stuff is so versitile. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I just saw that they are now selling it in brown black. Figures since I bought mine 6 months ago. Thanks for the tutorial. I might have to do the same !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty crazy huh! If you end up painting yours I'd love to post a picture. \
      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I found your blog while searching out this island on Pinterest. I'm buying the one in black tomorrow. I'm also a Mormon! haha. Anyway I'm your new blog follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! You will love your island! I still love mine!
      It has been a wonderful addition to my kitchen.

      Delete
  4. I've been lusting after this for a year. Buying it in black tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it! :) I really enjoy mine.

      Delete
  5. Can you tell me the products you used, start to finish? I'm new to refinishing and seeing all the products in the store is overwhelming. I've seen Kilz, but what kind of paint did you use (black) and did you put a sealer coat on top of that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie,

      I sanded it down and then coated it with kilz that I had tinted.
      After that I chose a black color in the Behr paint line. Behr now makes a paint primer combo that I would recommend. I did not top coat it with a sealer. I am sure that would make the paint more durable. Spray on varathane might be a great option.
      Good luck to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts